Joseph McClintock’s garden
Garden Lot size: 6,000 square feet
Years gardened at this location (Gardening Experience): 8 years, 100% native
Years on the "Bringing Back the Natives" Garden Tour: 8 years
Showcase feature: This peaceful 100% native plant garden, designed and installed by Michael Thilgen and his team at Four Dimensions Landscape Development, features graceful deergrass in the front garden, and a pond with a waterfall in the back. Birds are now bringing in more natives. “The plants shift around,” Joseph says of his native volunteers, “Every time you look at it it’s different. I love it.” This homeowner is exceedingly happy with his garden—ask him about the benefits of gardening with California native plants.
Other garden attractions:
- Steep, sunny slope is accessed by winding trail.
- The rose, oak and currant hedge in the backyard have created a living screen.
- “Neighbors like the garden because it’s made the neighborhood look nicer.”
- Garden was developed from “A dead lawn. The only thing growing here was a ratty bird-of-paradise.”
- Low water use.
- Featured in the Water Garden Idea Book, which is scheduled for publication in early 2008.
Gardening for Wildlife: The restful sound of falling water attracts both people and wildlife. After the pond was installed Joseph delightedly noted that Pacific chorus frogs came in on their own. Bees, lizards, lots of butterflies, insects and a variety of birds are also attracted to this garden.